JUST when you think you have everything under control, the world reminds you that you don’t. My car was finally finished last week on Wednesday, but with the holiday Thursday- Friday was the first opportunity we had to get it. UNFORTUNATELY, it snowed all day Thursday and Friday, which resulted in road closures. That directly followed no business hours on Saturday and Sunday meant Monday was the next opportunity. Luckily, I made it to Flagstaff and back safely, and my car is better than I remember.
Immediately following that debacle, Crunch got sick. And I mean bouts of diarrhea sick. You name it, he pooped on it. The worst (and saddest) part was that it was like uncontrollable. Poor little guy was miserable. I was convinced that it was an upset tummy from our long road trip, but Max was convinced otherwise. Thankfully, he is less emotional and more rational than me, because Crunch in fact had Giardia. It is a parasite that comes from standing water, and with all the rain the last few weeks- there was standing water in our backyard. Luckily (again), it is fully treatable, and he is now back to normal.
BUT THEN, Max and I went out and he got into our cookie jar, which yes, had chocolate (and lots of it). By the time we got home, it appeared he ate 5 chocolate chip cookies, and 4 brownies. If anyone doesn’t know, chocolate is deadly for dogs. It has caffeine & theobromine which they cannot process. It goes through their tract, absorbs and typically causes heart attacks and internal bleeding. I don’t remember much from the night because all I recall is bawling, begging Max not to let him die. Max found an at home remedy to induce vomiting, because they really only have an hour or two after ingestion before their bodies absorb it. Crunch had a ROUGH night vomiting and I had a rough night of pulse checking and sobbing. (Max slept pretty great, so go him)! Crunch freaking survived and is back to his normal self. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. This dog survived a year out in the industrial yards of Buckeye before we rescued him, and now he has been in North Scottsdale for 3 months and has almost died twice. Not sure what that says about us… aside from the monthly vet plan was the best investment we’ve made to date.
On the lighter side, Max and I decided this year to have a live Christmas tree. My family in Colorado does it, so why shouldn’t we?! So we headed off to Payson (a little later than we had hoped), and ended up getting there after dark. We decided to go for it anyways since our jobs don’t allow for much spare time. Max’s truck has a light bar, but due to some sketchy wiring (just kidding, kinda), it doesn’t always work how it should. So picture, Max, myself and the puppy in the middle of a forest, with a strobe light in the darkest part of the night, shivering with a chainsaw. The freaking pine trees were no where to be found, finally, 11 miles down this stupid road, we found ONE. And I didn’t even CARE what it looked like, so we chopped it down and loaded it up. Here is where it gets good. We drove back through the forest and made it about 100 feet from the road when I turned around, and said, “Uh Max, where is our tree?” It had flown out of the bed of the truck. MOTHER FUCKER. He asked when the last time I looked back and saw it was, and that was about a mile after we picked it up. Luckily, we just laughed and turned back for our freaking tree. We found it, literally about a mile from where we sawed it down and someone had just thrown it into a ditch since it was in the middle of the road. SO with that, we trekked out, AGAIN. We stopped for a nice dinner and made it home just before 10pm last night. TIRED. Then up at 4:30am to take Max to the airport. BOO. I get so used to him being home and then boom, gone again. But since my dog is still alive, I will survive.
Oh! And how could I forget? Crunch passed puppy school, by the fur on his back though… We are still debating intermediate school… More to come on that. Thanks #petsmart for the best training for our pup!